The best fitness trend to do for yourself

On your Instagram feed, I challenge you to think of all the people you see who are posting pictures of goat yoga with cutesy little captions. Seems so fun, right? Of course. Is there anything more fun than playing with goats? Honestly no. But yoga is so much more than cute Insta captions and pics. It's about mindfulness, mental and spiritual health, balance, flexibility, and physical well-being. That's a mouthful that Susie-Q's Instagram caption probably didn't tell you. 

I started yoga in July of 2017. It is something I am so blessed to be able to do and something that always excites me. I get questions all the time like, "what do you do?" and "can't you do that in a regular workout?" and "what even is yoga?" and my favorite, "what's the point of yoga?". These are all valid questions to wonder about before heading to your first class. Here's a pic from my first ever class!

What do you do in yoga?

Depending on the class you choose, you do different things. For example, if you choose a class for beginners, you are going to do easier poses and learn more about the foundation of the practice, as well as the ways each pose benefits you. I highly recommend beginners' classes to any and everyone because they help you to realign your reason for your practice and help you get back to the basics when you've been on hiatus for a while (it happens to the best of us). If you search for a yoga studio near you, you can typically contact your local studio and see what they offer for you. Be sure to be specific in what level you're at so they can properly serve you!

Can't you do that in a regular workout?

Heck to the NO. As I previously mentioned, yoga is not all about the "working out" of your body. It's more about bettering yourself and your mindset. Since I attend a faith-based yoga studio, I am also fed spiritually. This is an incredible way to have weekly tune ups, even when you're not in church. During yoga, you are guiding your body into learning to balance, forgiving yourself for what you cannot yet do, and being excited for what you can do. One thing I love that my yoga instructor says is, "We should be neither proud nor sad that we can or cannot do a pose. Our bodies change day-to-day, and one day we may be able to do something and the next day, not be able to". That is such a grounding statement! In yoga, you tone your body and muscles and you become more flexible, but what yoga is truly about is finding inner peace. It is nothing like a regular workout. 

What is yoga?

Yoga is a historical practice. It means different things to different people. For some, it may be an easy warm-up or cool down from working out. To others, it could be as difficult as cardio. To me, yoga is a way to unwind, release, and escape from the world. For 75 minutes, I am away from my phone, disconnected to the world outside, and connected to the Word and myself. It is an amazing experience, especially when you consider how long it has been around. Since I'm not an expert or instructor, I am unsure of the complete history, but most beginners' classes will fill you in on all of that!

What is the point of yoga?

The point of yoga is to grow into a better you. It is about becoming a more peaceful and kind human, with a calm spirit. It is about growing with the Word, becoming refreshed, and doing something new for yourself. With all of the new trends going on in the world today, it's easy to get lost and lose yourself in what is going on. Believe me when I say this: yoga is a trend you need to follow! Not only is it beneficial for your physical health, but also your mental and spiritual health as well. It tones your body, sharpens your mind and thoughts, while also redirecting your worldly thoughts to heavenly ones. It is one of my most favorite things to do. 

Hey, BG locals!

If you're local to Bowling Green, Kentucky, be sure to swing by my favorite place, Be Happy Yoga and Salt Cave and chat with my peeps there. Talk with Susan or Casey and let them know Madeline sent you! They'll fill you in on the classes you need to take and help you get signed up for the ones to best suit you. Not only are the classes awesome, but they're also affordable. I'll be sharing my favorite classes and instructors soon! 



Thanks for reading! 

XOXO, Madeline 

Comments

Popular Posts